Monday, August 10, 2009

Abdominal muscles and you

Oh yeah, did up another one of those tutorials, this time on the musclebound male physique and how it relates to character design. You know... for those days when you have a huge cast of beefy dudes and you aren't sure how to vary them beyond giving them different hair cuts...

... I'M LOOKING AT YOU, STREET FIGHTER II: THE ANIMATED MOVIE...




It may seem like I'm ragging on bodybuilders here, but that's not the case, I think more people just need to consider what the difference between muscles for show and muscles for work is. Not every guy who can kick your ass is gonna have diamond cut abs.

This is also posted in one piece on my DA gallery for people who want to download it but don't feel like saving four different files.

1 comment:

Mari said...

I just thought I'd tell you how very, very, VERY much I appreciate your little ab "tutorial". I usually draw females (I like the smooth curves), but I realize it's because I'm not very good at drawing guys. I learned my basics on musculature from Marvels How To Draw Comic Book Characters (or whatever it's called), and they only really had the Hulk as a model.
Your diagram.... it is life changing for me. I shall print it out and use it as a reference for EVERYTHING male! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
I cannot thank you enough for such a wonderful, concise, complete explanation of abdominal muscles!
Also, I LOVE YOUR COMIC!!